EPK

Thursday, June 29, 2006

What I've been up to on the stitching front

These are three of Dragon Dream's Christmyth series. The ornaments are just so small that I hate to waste space by taking a photo of them individually. (this is due more to the webshots site since I have the freebie bit) The are from top left: Mermaid, Hippocampus and Salamander.

This came from a magazine (don't ask which please I made my working copy and put the mag up. I'm too lazy at the moment to see if the name is there) It's from a Pansy alphabet. I'm not going to apologize for not ironing it first. I'm slowly working on the Pansy B.

I know I shouldn't start new big projects without first finishing the ones I have that are rapidly turning into UFOs. But unfortuneately......while traveling with my mother in law to a concert earlier this year we stopped into ABC Stitch in New Hampshire and she found Kustom Craft's Spring Break and asked if I could stitch it for her for Christmas. She doesn't ask for much so the next thing I hear coming from my mouth is ...... yes, I could stitch that, there's not that many colours, not sure if it would be in time for christmas but maybe a combined christmas/birthday gift. (Her birthday is in January). I had DH make a working copy at work since the chart's in black and white and no enlarging was necessary. It wasn't till I started picking up the floss at AC Moore when I realized what I'd gotten myself into. Somewhere between the 11th and 12th level of Hades! That's where! Haven't heard of any other levels....but I'm begining to wonder is there is. Does Hades have a basement? Storage facilites?

This is a nine page wolf that is all shades of grey and green, stitched on 36ct Edinbourgh "Rue Green". The middle is on page 5. Almost two weeks and I have've just barely gotten a third of the page solidified in stitches. Still can't tell what I'm stitching without putting pages together. It probably isn't helping that the floor frame I have (cheap, cheap) refuses to hold the scroll frame at my comfort spot for stitching so it's getting even less than I'm willing to spend on it. Horrible isn't it? I finally want to spend time on a big piece and the frame is giving me nothing but tempertantrums. As if the cats aren't giving me enough as it is.

BTW...... while I'm thinking of it. Not sure if any of you remember back in Feb/March I was working on a NeedleBook SAL from DragonFly Stitches. The stitching is done, the thing is almost put together. I made a boo-boo..... the twisted tye didn't go where is was supposed to so I had to cut it. I still need to take it in a little on the bottom, but does anyone have any suggestions as to making a closing thingy for the needlebook at the stage in the process? (I'm not ripping out seams to put things in mind you)

I've not gone back to review the comments from the last post. But here's a few I remeber. Stitch you're very welcome about the pictures. I do have a few more if you'd like to see a second post of pictures from the Native American museum. Barbara, I saw more things on the New England Native Americans when I went to the museum in New York City. Didn't learn much about them in school come to think of it. Most of what we learned were of the Plains Indians and all the trouble they gave our fore-fathers. (add in government tripe here) My step-father was a bit MicMac, a friend of mine is a bit Abnaki (sp?). I knew someone else was part Native but he never admitted to it. Actually found out after his death. He grew up on the rez up here in Maine, but he grew up during a time when anytype of native blood made you unhireable. Just like with my Mother's father's family.....with all those signs in the windows.... "Irish Need Not Apply"

9 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Your ornaments are awesome!!

Oh my goodness - that kit you bought sounds like it will be a challenge and a half!! The rest of us bloggers will surely cheer you on and support you!

Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Love the Christmyth ornaments, they are so cute! And the floral alphabet is sweet. :D

That kit does sound a bit of a horror... The basement of Hades is down 3 floors through to the stairs, down and to the left. Lots of great bargains though. ;) LOL Oh and duct tape works great on stubborn floor frames and cats too! ;D

Good luck and have a great weekend!

Friday, June 30, 2006 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger mainely stitching said...

Your ornaments are great and I wish you the best with your mega project!!!

Friday, June 30, 2006 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger Anne S said...

Ooooh, I remember that feeling very very well - that's how I felt when I started stitching Dolphins Domain ... all those greys/greens for ever! The great thing is it does eventually grow, and eventually does start looking more than just a one-huged blob, so hang in there! After all, you didn't tell her WHICH Christmas/birthday it was for did you? LOL. As for the needlebook, what about a buttonhole loop and button/bead closure? I'm just about to try the same thing on something else :)

Friday, June 30, 2006 10:29:00 PM  
Blogger Leeland said...

Hi Amanda!
It's nice to see what DD ornies look like when stitched! And I do think I'll stitch them someday -thanks to you! It's funny: their seahorse looks like a horse! I mean: I've just finished their Dragon of Water, and I think he looks like a seahorse... but not Dragon Dream's seahorse!
About the new big project: certainly many of us relate to you on this! I just hope you like the finished design, which will make it a little easier -and also that your mil is a nice woman... As far as mine is concerned, I don't think I could stitch her something on request... lol!
About the American Indians: in France, they teach us how hard the Pioneers have been with them, same with the Spanish in South America -but they don't say a word about how hard the French have been on African countries... And in France, there is a strong racist feeling towards them. So?...
Are we living in Hades without knowing?
Oh, and have you seen the nationalist French feeling around football? Pathetic!

Lots of hugs, Amanda!

Tuesday, July 04, 2006 3:13:00 AM  
Blogger Maree said...

Very cute ornaments. I ended up in a similar situation with my mother and Frederick the Literate.
In a weak moment, a few years ago, I said, "Pick something out and I'll stitch it for your 70th birthday."
Never again. That darn cat took me two years and caused me a lot of grief. On the bright side, my mother loved it. :)

Thursday, July 06, 2006 2:02:00 AM  
Blogger Maree said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, July 06, 2006 2:03:00 AM  
Blogger Maree said...

Sorry ... I accidentally posted the same thing twice!

Thursday, July 06, 2006 2:04:00 AM  
Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

Great ornies!!!

Monday, July 10, 2006 8:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home